THE EXPERT: Makeup artist Justin St. Clair
THE CREDENTIALS: Hailing from Jamaica, one-time stylist St. Clair has worked behind the scenes at runway shows for designers from Alexander McQueen to Zac Posen, and he’s made models camera-ready for brands like Coach, DKNY, and Ralph Lauren. His roster of celebrity clients is impressively diverse: Mariah Carey, Lauren Bush, and Mia Wasikowska have all turned to him with beautification requests. As for print, credits include Interview, InStyle, and Harper’s Bazaar.
1. To get started, St. Clair recommends beginning with a blank slate, so cleanse and moisturize your skin first.
2. Once your face is dry, apply a vitamin-rich and skin-soothing foundation primer to ensure a lasting glow (we like Smashbox Photo Finish Primer).
3. For a deep look, use a body bronzer (NARS Body Illuminator has a spicy, wanderlust-inducing scent, thanks to a hint of Monoi de Tahiti oil) on your neck and décolletage. “If you’re intrepid like I am, use it on the face, too,” suggests St. Clair. If you’re looking for a lighter finish, skip the illuminator and go straight to the concealer.
4. Pat concealer under your eyes and on any blemishes; the end goal is a flawless complexion.
5. Dust your entire face lightly with your favorite powder. Be sure to use a large brush with soft, loosely bound bristles, tapping off excess powder before you apply.
6. Next, using a medium-to-large contoured brush, apply a powder bronzer. Fair to rosy-cheeked girls might like Dior Bronze in Honey Tan, while darker complexions look good with NARS double-action blush/bronzer in Lovejoy. Brush the powder across your cheekbones (and under them if you want a more sculpted look), on the temples, and very lightly on the nose, chin, and forehead. Blend well. Start with a gentle application, and then add more if you’d like a greater payoff.
7. Add some drama: Curl your lashes and apply black mascara for full sexy, fringe. St. Clair’s go-to lash enhancer is Smashbox Bionic Mascara.
8. Want more, say for evening? Use the same powder brush you used to apply the bronzer and apply a wash of the bronzer across the eyelids.
9. For a touch of shine and healthy hydration, dab moisturizer on your lips (St. Clair recommends Malin+Goetz Lip Moisturizer). Leave the lipstick for another day—this look is all about your glimmering skin.
10. Finally, mist with Caudalie Grape Water for a supple, dewy finish. As St. Clair says, “Voilà! Bronze belle.”